Friday, January 25, 2008

Embracing being single

I've realized I have many things that I need to deal with before I can hope to move into any kind of healthy relationship. So I am working on, as a friend puts it, embracing being single - becoming comfortable with being alone. Having been married most of my adult life, this isn't an easy thing. I've written previously about missing that constant caring presence of having a partner. I still miss that terribly. But I can't allow that longing to drive my feelings about people, or my decisions about relationships. I can't just rush into something, no matter how good it might look on the surface, just because I don't want to be alone.

Somewhere in this great wide world there is someone who is right for me. With any luck, I'll meet them some day. Until then I have two choices... wallow in self-pity about being alone; or learn to be comfortable with myself, and enjoy being on my own. I'm thinking I'll go for option number two.

No comments: