Tuesday, January 25, 2011

WTF Doc?

In three visits with an orthopedic surgeon, I was never told that ibuprofen could retard bone growth. The guy gives me middling amounts of codeine, has his office personnel call to tell me he won't give more refills, and wants me to "switch to over-the-counter pain medications", and yet doesn't feel the need to tell me that I shouldn't use the most common type (NSAIDS)? I even told the person who called me that I was taking ibuprofen most of the time, but I wanted vicodin on hand for when the aching got really bad. So I basically spent six weeks in a splint for nothing - as in I have no signs of bone growth - and any more immobilization would be detrimental to the rest of my hand.

I’ve stopped taking ibuprofen, obviously. But my hand is no longer in a splint, so I have to wonder just how well it’s likely to heal. I’m frustrated, angry, and more than a little concerned that because of this I may end up having to go through surgery that could have been avoided with three words - “Don’t take NSAIDS.” As soon as I get the x-rays from this guy’s office, I’m looking for another doctor to discuss all this with.

No comments: