Friday, February 1, 2008

No babies for me

Well it's done. Two days ago I had the Essure procedure done for permanent sterilization. Within three months, my tubes will be permanently blocked, and I will no longer be able to have children.

I've pretty much always known I didn't want kids. But I left the option open until now, just to make sure I wasn't going to change my mind. At 38, I think I'm past the point that I'm going to change my mind. And even if I do, there are so many unwanted children I could give a home to -- rather than risking my life and the baby's by trying to have one at this age.

I truly believe there are far too many people on this earth already. Unfortunately, as a friend's signature line says, "The stupid people are winning the breeding war." It does seem it's generally the more intelligent and thoughtful who choose not to have children. So perhaps those of us who choose not to have children have a responsibility to try to educate the younger generations and pass on the ideas and ethics we would have given our own children had we had them.

2 comments:

devolve said...

You might enjoy the movie, "Idiocracy".

OR you might not.

Turtle Inferno said...

I loved it :) Highly underappreciated movie.